POWERFUL FOLLOWERS

Friday, July 23, 2010

Fleeting Summer and a Book

WHAT A DAY!!!!

I am on the Better Seeking Team for my school...a one year rotating position that I have had for 7 years now...beginning my 8th. Did you notice I said it is a one year position? Hmmm! I'm proud and more than willing to sit on this BST committee, much longer than is required, but it does require me to give up  
3 of my summer days 
to sit in on meetings that basically have nothing to do with what I teach. I teach ART. Of course, through ART I do teach math, social studies and the language arts. I am not a regular classroom teacher and I do not teach in the way a regular classroom teacher does, but in ART I do integrate the other academics. While things covered in the meetings really don't apply to my subject, it is also about things that are best for our school and I care about that, so it does apply to me there.
It is interesting to sit and hear all the data gathered from the test scores and it is fun planning for the coming year. However, if it's all the same to the powers that be out there in education land, I'd rather stay home and enjoy my day, thank you very much! But today I had to go to school and sit and listen, give my two cents worth on some things, and plan for the coming year. I do enjoy seeing all my teacher friends, I do enjoy finding out how our wonderful students did on the test, and I do enjoy being treated to a wonderful lunch! 
I did have a few minutes to work in my room. I rearranged tables to prepare for the huge amount of students I will teach this year...larger classrooms, fewer teachers, less or no money...whatever! 
I am meant to teach, and teach I will! 


THIS IS GROOVY CAT...HE'S ON THE FRONT OF THE BOOK
































So today marked the time when it really hits me that summer freedom is almost over. It's bittersweet for a teacher. You are ready to see your students, ready to experience the fun of learning with them, ready to have a more structured life, but at the same time you hate to give up the freedom of sleeping late, not dressing professionally and eating whenever you doggone well please. I am so pleased and thankful to have such a wonderful job, however, and mind you this is not complaining, I don't want to go back...yet.

OK, so I've rambled on about my day...now may I just jump randomly on to something found stashed away in the bottom of a basket in my slowly blossoming, but still cluttered workroom? (you do remember I linked my cluttered places to The White Farmhouse giveaway...oh and I won, did I tell you that!!!???) 


SWEET MARGARITE IS THE MAIN CHARACTER...OPENING PAGE


What, you'd rather I just hush? 

Sorry, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!


This is my book, or parts of it, rather...I wrote a version of it almost 30 years ago, and as an assignment for an ART class I took when getting my masters I had to create a book...soooooooo I rewrote my book from long ago and gave it a recycling theme to fulfill the assignment requirements and here it is...
It's an altered book of sorts...done my junky way as things usually are with me. I used tissue paper, magazine clippings, my own watercolored drawings and even pieces of burlap. It's a collage of sorts, and finishing it makes me feel complete ...one more project started and finally finished, one less thing to get to someday...
check this one off my list!
THIS IS THE BACK OF THE BOOK
I just love it when you run across something you haven't seen in awhile, you hold it and it brings back good memories and good times. Finding this caused me to remember my life long ago, 
and it also caused me to realize I have a wonderful life now too.
Yeah, I know, starting to get mushy, should have hushed long ago.

THE END

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for following me on my blog. I am glad I found yours. I am a 41 year old returning college student pursuing a degree in ELED. There are some great ideas on here! I will keep checking back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your collage book, and really hope you have a wonderful school year coming up! Happy belated Birthday, too!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!!